- Dieser Artikel enthält Werbung & Werbelinks. -
- This post contains ads and affiliate-links. -
Don’t we all have our favourite authors and genres, when it comes to picking a reading list? At the End of 2021 I too had to realize, that I had become somewhat stuck in my patterns. So I decided to broaden my mental horizon in 2022, by travelling the world through my reading list.
How did I research my 2022 reading list?
My first place to go for research: Pinterest. And I was very lucky. It seems like I have already proven my interest in “book inspiration” to the algorithm. Within no time, Pinterest suggested me some Pins about “reading challenges” and “books around the world”. But what struck me: Often these lists were only about books with plots that are set all over the world. But my point on this world trip is not to discover new places. I want to discover new authors and point of views. Therefore I created my own list.
The 5 rules of my book-trip around the world
I set these rules for my research:
- Rule 1: I split the world into regions and settled for one country each.
- Rule 2: The books should have been translated into English or German. Therefore I searched in Google for “most famous author” of the specific country.
- Rule 3: Additionally, I decided that the author should have been born in the country an have been living there a certain time of their lives.
- Rule 4: I tried to choose an equal count of female and male authors. Unfortunately I did not reach true equality. At the moment the list contains 9 books from women* and 11 books from men*.
- Rule 5: No restrictions! Everything is allowed – from crime to biographies or contemporary literature.
In 22 books around the world
The reading list that emerged from these five rules counts 20 books. A number that seems realistic to get through within a year. And even if I should not finish it within time, my reading trip around the world will simply take two years. I don’t want to loose the fun with this.These books are meant as a starting point for my world trip around the globe – that I hope to repeat more than once. I listed the following informations: world region, title (preferred in English), author, country of origin, year of first publication and a link to a currently available issue on Amazon.
- North America: The Handmaid’s Tale – Author: Margaret Atwood, (Canada 1998), appr. 10 Euro on Amazon
- Central America: Kingdom Cons – Author: Yuri Herrera (Mexico 2004), appr. 18 Euro on Amazon
- Caribbean: Die schöne Menschenliebe (no English version found – translated title: The Beautiful Love of Humanity) – Author: Lyonel Trouillot (Haiti 2014), appr. 17 Euro on Amazon
- South America: The Soul of a Woman – Author: Isabel Allende, (Chile 2021), appr. 15 Euro on Amazon
- Northern Europe: Blutmond (no English version found – translated title: Blood Moon)- Author: Katrine Engberg (Denmark 2017) , appr. 12 Euro on Amazon
- Western Europe: The Discovery of Heaven – Author: Harry Mulisch (Netherlands 1992), appr. 11 Euro on Amazon
- Southern Europe: Cold Skin – Author: Albert Sanchez Pinol (Spain 2016), appr. 13 Euro on Amazon
- Eastern Europe: 7 Kilo Zeit (no English version found – translated title: 7 Kilo Time) – Author: Rumjana Zacharieva (Bulgaria 1993), used for appr. 4 Euro on Amazon
- North Africa: The Country of Others – Author: Leïla Slimani (Morocco 2020), appr. 20 Euro on Amazon
- West Africa: An African in Greenland – Author: TéTé-Michel Kpomassie (Togo 1981), appr. 16 Euro on Amazon
- East Africa: Dust – Author: Yvonne Adhiambo Owuor (Kenya 2013), appr. 10 Euro on Amazon
- Central Africa: Little Boys Come from the Stars – Author: Emmanuel Dongala (Republic of Congo 1998), appr. 14 Euro on Amazon
- South Africa: Long Walk to Freedom – Author: Nelson Mandela (South Africa 1994), appr. 14 Euro on Amazon
- Near East: Judas – Author: Amos Oz (Israel 2014), appr. 12 Euro on Amazon
- Central Asia: Journey to Karabakh – Author: Aka Mortschiladse (Georgia 1992), appr. 15 Euro on Amazon
- South Asia: The God of Small Things – Author: Arundhati Roy (India 1997), appr. 9 Euro on Amazon
- East Asia: Lenin’s Kisses – Author: Yan Lianke (China 2004), appr. 14 Euro on Amazon
- South East Asia: The Sorrow of War – Author: Bao Ninh (Vietnam 1987), appr. 12 Euro on Amazon
- Oceania: Island of Shattered Dreams – Author: Chantal Spitz (Tahiti 2007), appr. 9 Euro on Amazon
- Australia and New Zealand: Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence – Author: Doris Pilkington (Australia 1996), appr. 17 Euro on Amazon
(* We want to include everyone in this society, regardless of gender)